Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, April 26, 2010

Country Music 1/2 Marathon

Here I am around mile 8Allie and Bess cheering for Momma

At the finish with one of my best cheerleaders

Finished!!! 2:18:42


This past Sat, 4/24/2010, was my first 1/2 marathon. 13.1 miles!!! That is a LONG way! I am so glad I that worked so hard for months and finished with a great time! It was a fun and a very interesting experience. I would never had been able to do this without the support of Kevin, Allie, family, and friends. Kevin did so much over the past months. He would watch Allie while I ran but most importantly he kept me motivated. There were plenty of times over the past several months that I would be crying, worried, or just feeling overwhelmed. Kevin would always listen and then say "I know you can do this." Those simple words kept me going. Now, here I am 1/2 Marathon Finisher!

The 1/2 marathon was very hard. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. It seemed like the course was uphill all the way. However, I know I did run downhill some. :)

I got to the start line around 6am. I ate a few snacks and just waited for the race to start. I didn't want to have to rush so I got there a little early. Right before my corral started, I started getting chills and feeling sick. I was so nervous but once we were running I felt much better and just did what I had trained for. I knew Kevin, Allie, and Bess would be cheering at around 4.5 miles. So, at 4 miles I made sure to be on the correct side of the pack so that they could see me and I could spot them too. I was watching and watching. This gave me something to do for about 1 mile. I finally spotted them and waved. About 1/4 mile later, I spotted my parents and waved and kept running. We ran through a residential area and there were lots of supporters. I basically just ran and read all the signs. The Belmont Blvd hill during mile 7-9 was really hard. I did have to walk a little there. I just kept moving. I never walked more than 1 house length. People were handing out food. At one point going up Belmont, someone was holding out something that looked like a sandwich cookie. I grabbed it because I thought a cookie would be really good right now. I was at about 7 miles. Yes, at 7 miles I am thinking about eating a cookie. :) After taking one bite, I realize it was really a peanut butter cracker sandwich. It did taste good but I didn't have any water and was already a little thristy from running. So, I just hung there and watched really close for the next water station. I kept running and running. Around 9-10 miles, there was a table full of salt packets. I wondered why people would want that but I guess it helps some. Then there was the goo packets. I wanted to try some to see how it went but I didn't. I had heard that it can really make your stomach upset and my body was already working really hard and didn't need anything new in the system. My legs were really starting to hurt and cramp at mile 11.5 and we were going up hill too! I had to stop and stretch my calves but only for about 15 seconds. When I saw the sign for mile 12, I was so happy. I knew I could do it but I was getting tired. Climbing that last hill was so hard. I just kept my legs moving. They were hurting and I was wondering what type of crazy people do this? Almost at the top of that hill, I could see the Titan stadium. FINISH LINE!!! I got a little bit of boast and pushed it to the top. It was then downhill, thankfully, to the Titan's stadium parking lot. I ran the last 1/4 mile on flat ground and was really feeling the effects of running 13 miles. I rounded the last corner and saw the finish line. I was there. I had made it! Smiling and running with everything I had left I crossed the finish line!

After finishing, I grabbed some water, my medal, some food, and had my picture taken. The food made me feel a little nauseous so I sat down on a curb for a few minutes. It was then off to meet my family. Kevin, Allie, and Bess were there. My parents couldn't find a place to park and didn't make it to the finish. No big deal. I was glad they saw me on Belmont Blvd twice. I sat down there for a few more minutes as Allie finished off my snacks. We were joking that it had been such a hard race on Allie that she needed the bananas and pretzels. As we were walking to the car, I had to sit down again. I was starting to feel nauseous and dizzy. I told Kevin if we didn't sit down there would be a very embarassing moment soon (I would faint). He got worried and decided that either he or Bess should drive me home. I was so thankful that Bess had made it because she drove me home. I could have driven myself but I would have had to wait another 20-30 mins and the storms were moving in. Soon after we got in the car, the rain started. I was so happy to not be running in it. I also learned not to drink too much water after running that far. I got sick in the car and once again, it was great to have Bess driving (sorry about that Bess). Once we got home, it was nice to sit on the couch and rest. I ended up taking a 2 hr nap. Kevin, Allie and I all went out to celebrate that night.

I am so thankful for such a supportive family and for the health to be able to participate in this event. It was a once in a lifetime experience!
If you are interested here at some of my stats:
Finish time 2:18:42
Overall place 9525/24636
Gender place 4784 / 15643
Pace 10:35 min/mile
5K time 30:11
10 Mile time 1:42:59

2 comments:

  1. Nice story! We are glad you braved the weather. We are proud of you, Kevin and Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an accomplishment! Congratulations! Pop & Bess

    ReplyDelete