
Kevin and I went backpacking over Memorial Day weekend. We helped his parents move then we decided that we would go camping Sunday night and drive back on Monday. We looked and found that Fall Creek Falls was close to Nashville and that the chance of rain was only 30%. So we decided to go there, the other places we found had a higher chance of rain and we didn't want to risk it. We have been camping and it rained it can get really cold. The pictures are of us when we were first starting out. The suspention bridge was towards the beginning of the hike. I was scared walking across it but I just kept on moving. It is really high. We hiked about 2 miles on Sunday. We got to our camp around 7:30 or 8:00pm. We were able to set up camp before it got dark. We made smores by the camp fire. That is something we love to do. We carry marshmellows, graham crackers, and chocolate to make them with. Yes, it is usnecessary but we think it is worth the extra weight and space. It does take up some space because the crackers and marshmellows have to go in a tuberware container. On Monday, we hiked out by the mountain bike trail. The trail was really overgrown and we kept getting ticks on our socks because we were hiking through tall grass. I bet we picked off about 20-30 ticks off our socks on Monday. During the hike we stopped at a creek, I decided to go wading to cool off and because it would be fun. When I took off my socks, I had 4 ticks on me. I had to pull them off. After wading and eating lunch, we continued on. The trail kept getting worse with high grass, limbs being in the path, and trees over the path. It got so bad that I was going to report the trail's condition to the park rangers when we got out. We were crawling over downed trees, more trees, and more trees. We we doing more than hiking; we were doing an obstacle course!! Once we got to the trailhead (where our car was parked), the trail sign said that the trail was closed. It all made sense then. That was why they didn't keep that trail up where people could hike it. On Monday, we were hiking down a steep hill and it was really muddy. I was trying to go down the hill slowly and carefully but I ended falling down backwards, rolling over, and sliding down the hill. Kevin said that I slide about 5 ft. I was glad that I wasn't hurt. I only had a few scrapes and bruises from the fall. Overall, we had a great time camping this past weekend.



Glad you are OK, that must have been a scary fall.
ReplyDeleteWe love to camp. Tina and I earned the boyscout polar bear badge for camping in weather below 32 degrees last year.
Melinda forgot to mention that I was there to catch her!! Ha ha. We may need to start "she said" and "he said" sections to provide both sides of the story!! She was a good sport about the fall and didn't complain the rest of the way.
ReplyDeleteWe had a great time, and are looking forward to going again!!
where are the pictures of camp??
ReplyDeletewhat about cooking??
I am taking my Webelos to Kia Kima camp this week in Hardy, AR for 4 days and 3 nights.
Have ya'll cooked in a Dutch Oven (not pratical for backpacking, but great for camping at other times).